Part 3 explores how Dee Hock “educed” an organisation using “chaordic” principles. He highlights how we brought so many diverse people and their organisations together to form Visa. He also shares some fascinating philosophies.
- His philosophies of leadership and management
- How we can arrange our time to be a good leader and even a follower
- How he found himself leading Visa, when only 3 years previously he was searching through bins as part of his role
- Internal models of reality
- His philosophy on what he calls the machine metaphor and how we live in such mechanical and command and control society
- The innovations that he led, including how his team built authorisation software for his vision of a digital world
- His team’s agile working methods
52 years ago, our guest foresaw and implemented the foundations for the world’s first trillion dollar organisation. Back then, Visa was little more than a set of unorthodox convictions about organisation slowly growing in the mind of a young corporate rebel.
Today, according to the Visa 2019 annual report, payments and cash volume for the year was a staggering $11.6 trillion dollars, transactions processed on Visa’s networks totalled $138.3 trillion dollars and the year saw some 3.4 billion Visa cards in operation.
He is the man who imagined this reality, who had a once-deemed-impossible vision 52 years ago, a vision which has become a concrete reality today. He is a man who has a different view on what the next 50 years can deliver, but that vision will require a radical shift in mindset for every single one of us.
It is such an immense honour to welcome the founder and CEO Emeritus of Visa and author of the pioneering work “The Birth of the Chaordic Age” and its updated version “One from Many: VISA and the Rise of Chaordic Organization”, Dee Hock.