Companies spend billions of dollars annually on diversity efforts with remarkably few results.
Too often diversity efforts rest on the assumption that all that’s needed is an earnest conversation about “privilege.”
That’s not enough.
To truly make progress we need to stop celebrating the problem and instead take effective steps to solve it.
Through her own exhaustive research, fresh evidence and first-hand work with companies our guest shows how it’s done, and, reassuringly, how easy it is to get started.
Chapter titles include
1. What’s the path forward?
2. Is bias training worthless?
3. We’re a meritocracy. Are you asking us to change that?
4. Why do some groups need to be politically savvier to succeed?
5. Are you saying that white men have it easy? I don’t feel privileged.
6. We cherish our culture. Can we retain that and still achieve DEI goals?
7. Can we make progress on DEI without getting all rigid and bureaucratic?
8. Women’s priorities change after having kids. Are you saying I should ignore that?
9. Isn’t it natural—and inevitable—that people who work harder go further?
10. If we hire more women and people of colour, won’t the DEI problem take care of itself?
- What does the CEO need to do to finally deliver on DEI goals?
- How can a company change who gets access to opportunities? (Hint: Only the CEO can)
- How can CDOs and HR get buy-in—and deliver— on DEI goals?
- How can HR and DEI departments work together to interrupt bias in basic business systems?
- How can individual managers help move the needle—and manage more effectively?
We welcome the author of Bias Interrupted: Creating Inclusion for Real and for Good, Joan C. Williams, welcome to the show.
Find Joan here: https://joancwilliams.com
Find bias interrupters here: https://biasinterrupters.org