“We teach our children how to read and write, but not how to speak and listen. Listening is untaught and usually unpractised. Our amazing human voice is marginalised as we communicate more and more through text, not spoken word.” – Julian Treasure (5xTED talk speaker and author)
Have you ever felt like you’re talking, but nobody is listening?
Wouldn’t it be nice to know how to speak so that people listen – and how to listen so that people feel heard.
Our guest today is a leading sound expert and demonstrates via interviews with world-class speakers, professional performers and CEOs atop their field, the secret lies in developing simple habits that can transform our communication skills, the quality of our relationships and our impact in the world.
We welcome 5 time TED speaker and author of “How to be Heard: Secrets for Powerful Speaking and Listening” Julian Treasure.
- How to listen and why we don’t
- How Sound impacts us all
- How to make sound work for you and improve your wellbeing, effectiveness and happiness
- Why listening matters. How listening and speaking affect one another
- Our listening filters, and how to use them
- How “open workspaces/offices” impact listening
- The 7 deadly sins of speaking and listening, and how to avoid them
- The 4 leeches of conversation
- The 4 Cs of conscious communication: Commitment, Consciousness, Compassion, Curiosity
- RASA: (Juice in Sanskrit) – Receive (pay attention to the other person), Appreciate (via little sounds), Summarise, Ask
- HARAH: Humility, Awareness, Respect, Attention, Humour
- HAIL: Honesty, Authenticity, Integrity, and Love
- Some exercises we can do every day
- A bonus link for video exercises for Innovation show listeners
Julian has kindly offered our listeners 5 free videos to become a better speaker available here: https://www.juliantreasure.com/innovation/